The Ordinary for Oily Acne-Prone Skin

This is a short post on the products that I use from The Ordinary for my oily skin. I am not a skincare expert, I’m just writing about what works for me: Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%, Lactic Acid 10% + HA, and the Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution.

What is The Ordinary?

The Ordinary is a skincare brand under the parent company DECIEM that offers a range of treatments centered around tried and true ingredients like retinol and glycolic acid. Their products are of high quality and are extremely affordable, with most products costing under £7 (approx. 9 USD). 

Describing my skin type…

I have very oily, acne-prone skin. I had mild acne as a teenager and before using the products I’ll describe below, I would breakout every now and then, and I had pretty dark scars from my acne. Now, I rarely break out (even when I wear make up) and my scars have faded and I can attribute 85% of it to using these products; the other 15% would be from good skin practices such as changing my pillow cases often, not using towels on my face, avoiding putting my phone on my face etc.

1. Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

This is a serum to combat blemishes, congestion and sebum over-production. By controlling sebum production, pores remain clear and decongested from blemish-causing bacteria, ensuring clearer, calmer skin with prolonged use.

I use this twice a day: in the morning and in the evening. Visibly, my skin looks brighter, produces less oil throughout the day, and is smoother. This is by far my favourite product from The Ordinary. One small 30ml bottle will last me about 6 weeks so it is extremely affordable. 

Cost: £5 (approx. $6.50)
Where to get it from: in the UK: Boots, Beauty Expert, or Beauty Bay; in Kenya: beautyhub.co.ke; in the US: Ulta or Sephora

2. Lactic Acid 10% + HA

Lactic acid visibly targets uneven tone, textural irregularities and fine lines. It offers a very mild exfoliation at a 10% concentration, working to improve skin texture, reducing pigmentation caused by acne scars and age spots by stimulating cell regeneration. 

I love this product. I use it in the evening, as it makes your skin more sensitive to the sun; I use it right after washing my face (before using the Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% serum). It’s improved the texture of my skin immensely, and has helped with the hyper-pigmentation from my acne scars. The one I use is the 10% concentration one, but there is a 5% one that isn’t as harsh if your skin is on the sensitive side. 

Cost: £5.80 (approx. $7.50)
Where to get it from: in the UK: Boots, Cult Beauty, or Beauty Bay; in Kenya: beautyhub.co.ke 

3. Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution

Glycolic acid toning solution is a gentle exfoliating toner to brighten and refine skin texture. 

Glycolic acid is known to be amazing for oily skin due to its ability to reduce excess oil and prevent the plugging of pores which is what often causes breakouts. Because I use the lactic acid everyday, I only use this after I take my make-up off on days when I wear makeup, just because too much acid is bad for your skin. It removes all the dirt on my face and has also worked to fade the acne scars on my face. When I first got it, I used it every night, but once I got the lactic acid I stopped using it as frequently. 

Cost: £6.80 (approx. $8.80)
Where to get it from: in the UK: Boots or Beauty Bay; in Kenya: beautyhub.co.ke

I have been using products from The Ordinary to deal with my oily skin for over a year now and I don’t plan to stop using their products any time soon. My skin loves their products; I rarely break out anymore, my skin doesn’t look as oily, and my skin texture has improved drastically.

If you would like to read more about each product, as well as the other products The Ordinary has, this post by Beauty Bay is perfect! 

 

Advertisements